Why we have sensitive skin
Our skin’s barrier is the outermost layer of our skin called the stratum corneum. This is the layer that acts like roofing tiles, fitting perfectly together to keep out bacteria, environmental aggressors, and most importantly prevents TEWL (Transepidermal Water Loss). Your skin is your only defence from any outer aggressors – there is nothing else that is holding us together than our skin. As we age this barrier naturally degrades causing dehydration, dryness that contribute to signs of aging and/or increased skin sensitivity. Aside from ageing, we can also compromise our barrier by using harsh surfactants, over-exfoliating, or not delivering nutritive omega’s and fatty acids that repair and replenish our skin’s barrier.
When this barrier is compromised you are more likely to experience irritation and inflammation that can cause rosacea, acne, dermatitis’ and aging.
How you can repair your skin’s barrier:
- Stay away from cleansing products that contain sulphates or were not formulated for the face. The skin on the face is more delicate than the skin of the body and should be gently cleansed.
- Don’t over-exfoliate and stay away from scrubs that contain large particles with jagged edges, these can cause micro-cuts on the skin disrupting the skin’s barrier. Opt for a gentle AHA like Lactic Acid that effectively dissolves dead skin and is naturally hydrating.
- Replenish the barrier with antioxidant and omega-packed moisturisers like our Everyday Day Cream and Antioxidant Defence Booster. Omega’s work to repair damaged areas of the skin barrier helping it to heal, and prevent TEWL while antioxidants neutralise environmental aggressors that degrade the integrity of your skin.
- Stay away from Essential Oils, fragrance and any Parfum in products. Essential Oils, even though natural and not synthetic are alcohols that be too harsh and many times are being in too high concentration in products that can impact the skin barrier. Hence our products are all essential oil free with the exception of our Everyday Face Oil. But we have some exciting news there as well soon!
Sarah‘s Sensitive Skin Regimen
Everyday Cleansing Oil
>> If you like to do a double cleanse and use our Everyday Cleansing Oil twice. First time, don’t shake it. So it won’t emulsify. Second time, shake it, and it will emulsify.
- Hydration Mask
- Everyday Glow Serum + Antioxidant Booster
- Everyday Face Oil
1 x A detox / deep clean mask
Let us know if you have any questions and we can further support you. How about organising a Consultation with our founder.